Monday, April 16, 2007

Oh Mylanta

Call me a loser, but I spent most of my snow day reading stories by H.P. Lovecraft. One of the essential horror writers in early 20th century American Literature (think Edgar Allen Poe but with it's own mythology) Pretty incredible stuff, I might say. But anyway, I was looking up the stories on wikipedia, you know, to gain extra insight and analysis and I happened to stumble upon wikisource. Are you sitting down?

Wikisource is a compilation of literature across the annals of time. Want to read Dracula but are snowed in and can't get to the library? BAM. It's there. In it's entirety. Completely free. Lord knows what would compel you, but if you wanted to read the original version of The Canterbury Tales and don't have your handy Norton's English Literature Volume One on hand? Money in the bank.

Now normally this is something I wouldn't exactly share with my 'homies' so to say, but I can safely assume that since lovers of English are my predominate readership I think this is a handy tool; for if you are looking to peruse through some poetry or need to find a reference for some paper you are writing, this is an essential and invaluable resource that I am extremely surprised that I hadn't stumbled upon before. Similar to the previous references of the free education supplied by the likes of MIT, people in charge of technology are starting to get the hint: if you don't make it free and available on the internet, people will just have to steal it.

Or I guess technically you could visit your local, friendly library but memberships are just really expensive and it would require you to go somewhere, where wikisource is just oh so convenient.

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I assume that since this wikisource has an edit page, you could add to these works - create your own ending if you choose. Am I correct in this assumption? If that is the case, then how do we know if what we are reading is really an original version, or simply a compilation of lots of people's edits of the original version?

CHARITY said...

Ooooo good question Darlene. I didnt think of that. i was just going to thank Chris for sharing those sites with us. I will definitely be checking them out! I found that you can get some background info and alot of poetry through poetry.org as well. or maybe its poetry.com. I think the .org one is more legitimate.

Anonymous said...

You Rock Chris...now let us know who's messing with Bram Stoker! Not a good idea!

Jo Tutko said...

Its a pretty cool site Chris. Though this may seem a little shifty, writers/scholars now have the opportunity to right the wrongs of literture... Rochester and Jane Eyre could live happily ever after.

Changes like this are simliar to what was happening in Caleb Carr's novel Killing Time (a novel that deals with re-writing histroy in an information age).

Barb Hollings said...

Darlene raises a great question here. Having the ability to change the outcome of a popular story is a bit scary, but at the same time it might be a great exercise for students to try in-class (not on the website). Students could read the story and then createt their own ending that might make it more relevant for them or they could even reinvent the whole story. If students can do this then you know they are reading and understanding the text!