Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ha...sorry if anyone got excited...

As the title suggests, there have been some major changes to our graphic novel. We decided that because of the limited space and time frame for the assignment, my project, in all of it's grandeur, breadth, scope and absolute mastery, simply would not work with what we want to do. So I am taking my idea back and will use it for a novel or short story for some place in the future. I am sorry.

Instead, you are going to get something very scholarly. Namely, a Shakespeare translation!

We (Phil andI) were bombing ideas around and somehow landed on the idea of doing a translation. Mainly because there is a killer scene from Hamlet that will work perfectly for what we want to do corroboratively. Strangely enough, Phil has yet to read Hamlet. But you know what, some people still think that the Wayans Brothers are funny. Likewise, the same people think that the common public want to see movies where they super-impose grown up faces onto an infant's and therefor, the common man will think its be funny. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, indeed.

I forgot to post about the last project, the now infamous Burn 'em and Turn 'em. Well, maybe not infamous but hopefully nefarious or even gregarious would work. At any rate, I enjoyed working on this project immensely. If you want the specifics on the project, check out Phil's blog. To me the benefit of a project like this is that everyone has a say. If one person dominates what happens then people's feelings are going to get hurt. During our project, everyone had good ideas and everyone had bad ideas. We decided together as a group. And as I've said before, I like the movie because it shows that learning is more than just books and boring documentaries; it can be produced and be entertaining. Granted, I am sure it would be more enlightening to know where Area 51 really is, but we had a good time working together and creating content for others to share.

Oh by the way, it's on Youtube.

Get cultured.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi -- great discussion of your video. And of YouTube which is taken up in the Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy this month, second month in a row they have been recommending using YouTube in the classroom. You can read this article at the site: http://www.reading.org.
Click into the journal's home page and the current issue's table of contents. Then use my username (kstearns) and password (aussie) to get into the site. Try aussie1 if aussie doesn't work.

I have some reservations about parodying HAMLET...esp. when Phil hasn't read it.

I'd much prefer you men be original.

S'peare is, well, wonderful, yea.

I love S'peare, but come on is that all we Eng. teachers know how to do!!

If it is, we need to get a life, get lives actually!

Hope you're on board with my critique. That's what I'm here for!!!