Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It's Lonely on Top...

For the third block project, Phil and I are going to create a comic. More like a graphic novel. We are planning on using similar techniques that Kaitlin, Theresea and Jon used in their ComicLife project. We are still going to use ComicLife and use the pictures, but that is where the similarities end. Ours is going to have an actual story line and from our initial brainstorming at the Neub (while I was working) I think it's going to rather serious. See, when I think about making a comic for a class project, I don't think about it like it is some fluff piece. I think about it as an avenue for students who may not be articulate enough to write a short story, but still have ideas that they would like to convey. The idea that I had, and I think we might go with it, or at least work with, is based on an Old Spice commercial.

I know what you are thinking. This can't be good.

But if you watch a lot of TV or have a good memory, you may recall sometime last semester (and they could still be on) the commercial where there was one lone male surrounded by a world of women. But because he didn't wear Old Spice he stunk like a dumpster and no female would approach him. Silly I know, but somewhere deep down inside the gears started turning.

What happened if you really were the only man left on Earth?

I am sure for most women, this would not be a terrible thing.

But think about it. If there was one man left on Earth, whether it be due to violence or disease, he is responsible for an entire race of people.

Let me repeat that.

The entire human race. Homo sapien is your responsibility. And what is more pressing, say to a man who was hurt by society, or by someone he loved.

Would you sustain the population? With all the degradation of morality, corruption, greed and just generally terrible things that human beings do to each other, is the world worth saving?

Now before you call the suicide hotline on me, this was a short story I was planning on writing sometime in my career, I may still so don't go copping any of my ideas. I don't know how it's going to end, who the characters are, how society is, the time period or anything like that. All I know is that this is a possible idea but no matter what Phil and I choose to do is going to be good, guaranteed.

If you liked our movie you have no idea what's ahead.

1 comment:

Kris Mark said...

I love how you described your next project block. You have a unique writing style that I always happen to find humor in. Your next project sounds really interesting! I never really cared about graphic novels until I read "Persepolis" and when I realized how many students actually read graphic novels. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us!