Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Popaganda

In relation to new technology, I think that although it is flawed and not really that new, I feel that the Ruckus program available to us as Cortland students is somewhat awesome. The ability to download music for free and legally is something that the music industry should be on the lookout for. Two examples of downloading music come to mind, both on each side of the spectrum.
Firstly, iTunes is completely destroying compact disc sales. And why shouldn't it? Everytime I have to buy a gift for my family, I usually pick out a cd (most always one that I wouldn't mind burning myself) and to walk into Best Buy or FYE and see that records now cost anywhere from $11.99 (at an extreme bargain) to $19.99 (if you want something new) I want to vomit my lunch on the spot. For if I wanted to buy an album for myself, it'll only cost me $9.99 at the most on iTunes. And it's legal. It's instant. I can do it from the comfort (or lack there-of) of my desk chair here on campus. Even that god-awful song from Daniel Powter (Bad Day) from American Idol, the single not even the album, sold over two million units on the iTunes music store. How incredible is that?
And if you are somewhat more...frugal you can get Limewire, Shareeza or any number of illegal media downloaders. With those, you can get music, movies, even essays. Starting with Napster, this is not so much a revolution, but more of an institution for any young person who has a computer and high speed internet (I, sadly, have dial-up at my home so I am excluded from this conversation). Not that I condone illegally downloading media files, but for someone on fixed income (a.k.a. broke) this is quite the enticing offer. The music industry has to find some way to adapt to the technological changes that are happening right in front of it's eyes.
Even think about radio today. They are going digital, with XM and Sirius offering commercial free (minus their own radio plugs which can last forever) music that is categorized to the point that if you want to listen to a certain artist, then it is at your fingertips. AM radio is almost dead and FM is not that much farther behind. The only time I ever listen to the radio is at work and even then, the reception is terrible and I have to put up with songs that I don't like to listen to!
So to wrap this soliloquy of sorts up, music is one of my passions , a feeling I am sure 95% of my generation shares with me. The record companies, who are dumber than bags of hammers anyway (who seriously would sign William Hung and Paris Hilton to record deals?), need to wake up and smell the silicone, because they are going to be left in the dust.

1 comment:

Brian Callaghan said...

I like the idea of Itunes I really do and apparently so do a ton of bands. More and more bands are releasing digital-only CDs and EPs (The Format's live Cd) . I dont consider myself to be one of those guys that want to buy the cd for the artwork and what not and I dont really know how you feel on the situation. Also just a little news blotter have you heard that the IRAA wants to slap a lawsuit on XM because you can record programming?