Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Blogs on a Wing, Pt. 1

After viewing the Will Richardson videos, I realized two things, one slightly more important than the other. First, that he somewhat looks like Tim Robbin's character Ray from High Fidelity (it's the ponytail). But secondly and decidedly more important for my education and personal enlightment, that blogs are much more than online journals. When I was in high school, I had one of those silly Livejournals, where I would talk about my day or how sad I was or write mini stories. Although this isn't a bad thing, I look back and think about how much time I was wasting. Not that I would have or still have much to say, but I never realized the potential that blogging creates.

From his first video, they talk about the interaction with the author Sue Monk Kidd from one of the books that they had read in class (The Secret Life of Bees). This wasn't some just some local mom writing a romance novel (which would most likely feature Fabio) but a Pulitzer writing author who the students had personal correspondence with. Just imagine the potential for learning. If you have contact with the authors of books you read, there is much insight to be gained. Wondering about the motives or personal nature that you couldn't quite figure out? A simple comment and they respond back to you. Absolutely incredible. It also allows parents to be able to keep track of what their child is doing. I know when I was in school, you'd get the tired mantra everyday:

Mom- "How was school?"
Me- "Fine."
Mom- "Did you learn anything fun?"
Me- "No."

If blogs are used in the classroom, whether to produce homework assignments or just a daily log of what happened in class, the parents now have the ability to actually see the progress their child makes. Which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on the dilligence of the student.

The second video talked also about the connection you can make with other people, making it possible for the internet to become a real "learning space". As I mentioned with the interaction with Kidd, the potential to actually communicate with the first hand source and be able to ask questions is amazing. And you never know, maybe authors or other intellectuals could gain insight or knowledge from one of the students studying their work. It really does incorporate a lot of "intellectual engagement" in it's scope, as Richardson says. Richardson's third video from his keynote speech in Edinburgh talks about web 2.0 and when he realized the potential for him not only to consume knowledge, but to be able to create and possible enlighten others as well. This is something that I will tell my students someday. That yes, it may just seem like a hobby, but if you have serious ideas, people will read and eventually pay attention; because there is a potential to share with millions of people.

From what I've been reading from the articles for our quiz, blogging is much more important than I thought it was. From the why weblogs page, I see a very valid point when Laura Shefler says that "In their weblogs, students exercise critical thinking, take creative risks, and make sophisticated use of language and design elements". This is very true, because if you know that other people will be reading what you have to say, you don't want to sound like a complete novice in your native tongue. It forces you to actually think about what is coming out of your mouth, because it will be seen by (potentially) hundreds of people who may actually care what you have to say. Also, if you are of a competitive nature, seeing a well written blog by one of your colleagues may force you to further your own writing.

It says in there that parents and teachers realize that reading and writing don't really happen very often for a majority of students outside of the classroom, but computer use does. If you are assigned blog posts for homework (sounds slightly familiar) then writing may not be so bad for some students. I think of myself as an example. Being an English major, although I enjoy writing and reading, I would never have written so much or so in-depth if this was a handwritten response. I feel very comfortable rambling on and on (although your eyes may hurt from staring at the computer screen). This is the technology I wish was integrated into all of my classrooms, though I doubt that my other teachers would have the patience to sift through my diluted asides.

2 comments:

Willis said...

soooo true about the comment you make about the parent asking the kid "how was school?" I used to come home and get that everyday and it never changed! I think that's a kewl idea how parents can keep up with what kids are REALLY learning by reading their blogs. Good point!

Kris Mark said...

There is so much to say about Richardson's pod-cast. What I agree most with you about is that when it comes to blogs, students can write in or out of the classroom, in the privacy of their own home, and take their time to write what they want. I personally find that to be the most important aspect of blogging. It opens the doors for students who are quiet or shy in class, to go home and really voice themselves to their classmates on the blog. There are so many times when I sit down to write a response to you guys and I wait a good minute or two with my fingers on the keyboard just thinking about what to say. It gives so many more articulation opportunities for students.