Tuesday, February 20, 2007

NCATES/NDOGS/NMICE

Although I have never been a big fan of standards being applied over a grand scale (such as standardized testing), I was pleasantly surprised to see that the NCATE standards for ELA do indeed include information about applying media literacy into the classroom. If I may quote: [pertaining to a candidate's TARGET result] "understand media's influence on culture and people's actions and communication, reflecting that knowledge not only in their work but in their teaching". Well, at least the big wigs enforcing our education standards understand the important of encompassing the mass media epidimic into education; something that both Hobbs and the PLS have understood.

To wrap up my ruminations: by incorporating the different facets of the media diamond in education, especially ELA, the students will benefit greatly from the different sources of information available and gain a greater and more rounded out education that the kind you would get from just a textbook. If students can incorporate a higher level of thinking by including media sources that they are very comfortable with, then it can apply to other areas of studies and help with their overall education.

1 comment:

Kris Mark said...

Hey Chris,

While I was reading the 6 principles, Hobbs' text and the NCATES standards, I could not help but ask myself, "Is this all really happening in English classes?" It just seems as though media in itself could create a whole other course. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I like the idea of students being more encouraged and motivated to go to class because media is something they can definitly relate to, but it just sounds kind of bizarre to me. One day we are trying to adjusting to podcasts and wikis, now out of nowhere comes the media! Liek Richarson said, "there are an endless amount of possibilities." I guess this really is just the beginning,