Monday, February 5, 2007

It's Like Comparing Apples to ...PC's?

Although I am indeed a lowly PC user, I am slightly infatuated with Apple, Inc. and I don't think I am alone. As we saw in the first class, almost every person in class has an iPod. That's cool, I have one too. But I never realized the power of Apple until my iPod went kaput. I called their tech support and it was the best calling-for-help experience in my life. The ladies I spoke to (count 'em, two of them) were very friendly and not the most bit surly. They sent me a box to ship my iPod out the day after (Tuesday) and I received my new one tonight (Monday). I am nothing but absolutely impressed with the way that they do business. They have set up a dynasty.

Apple, Inc. has integrated all of their products so that each one fits into it's own place. I feel that with using Windows, if you install something, it becomes a patch on the pair of jeans of personal computing. But with Apple products, it becomes a mosaic. It all flows seamlessly together, from your iPod to iMovies to iWhateverelse. They seem to understand that people don't want to be confused about which ports to plug this into, or which program I need to open these pictures I just took. I think of my father when this comes to mind. Almost once a week he'll ask me what program to use to open this or how to organize his mp3 files. I tell him he should get an iPod to avoid these problems...he doesn't care much for my sass. But the point is this: Apple is soon going to take over the computer industry. Just wait. Sure, Windows just put out their Vista processor. But look at it. It is basically a rip-off of OSX, copping the idea of widgets and the dashboard. Windows needs to find some way to get out of the typecast that they have acquired. Just look at the commercials that Apple puts out. How stupid does Windows, (hell even Windows users) look while the smug, snarky Apple has everything and is SO MUCH COOLER.

Man, every time I look at my stupid, huge tower with all of the extraneous and twisted viper's nest of cords, I get a little bit more depressed and frankly feel a little bit stupider.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I have a good friend, who is absolutely "the computer guy", you know "the guy on the couch" (half baked) who is the man for his time and place, well John is "the guy on the computer." Anyway, anytime last semester when i would get frustrated, and couldn't do something he'd say "get a mac." I'd be trying to do something and i would get frustrated and i'd look at him and he'd say "if you had a mac you wouldn't have this problem."
So i sit here in my room, looking at my new 20inch dell monitor, with my mac mini powering it, and i think, wow, it was worth it. I agree with you, apple is so much better then everything. The only reason i know it will never become a monopoly is the very reason i specified i have a dell 20 inch. It would have cost about double, to get the same size monitor from mac (i got a good deal!). So i agree with your observation of apple being superior.