Sunday, September 23, 2007

Second Life

So. This is a documentation of my experiences in Second Life as a greenhorn. As I noted on the wiki, my entry into this alternate universe was frustrating. I have used SL before, but not enough to be comfortable with moving around. But I found a second orientation island today, so I have my appearance set. Yet as before, although I can fly and drive and walk around I am still bored. I took a balloon ride, which was boring and I think since I am running Vista, my SL is sometimes very glitchy - a.k.a. I will get stuck underground sometimes or sink through the road. Needless to say this is frustrating, but I do see clearly the options presented by having an unlimited amount of potential space to build, learn and mingle with people from around the world.

2 comments:

rayhedrick said...

Hey,

If you wanted me to give you a tour of Second Life, I'd be happy to. We're actually implementing this virtual world into ENG 506 this semester (I'm helping Stearns again), which is the Graduate-level version of the course that you took.

So, needless to say, I have done extensive research and have found some cool places.

Leave me a comment on my blog (rayhedrick.typepad.com) if you'd like a tour.

Good to see that you're still blogging.

Alex Reid said...

Sorry to hear of your technical glitches. You may end up finding it worthwhile to run this on another machine. Meanwhile, soon I hope you'll be finding interesting stuff to do in SL through the World University Exchange.