Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Only Guaranteed DATE I've Had In A Long Time

Two of the sessions I attended at the DATE conference were the Addicted to Dickens and Dealing in the Digital. And what I noticed in there was the same content that we have been discussing in 307. In the Dickens session, Georgia Peach and her peers at Skaneateles High School are teaching both Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities. Not in the book form, however. They are reading them in their orginal serialized fashion, available online. The benefits of the read/write web are clearly seen here. Students now have the ability to access the content wherever they have an Internet connection. Along with the immediate accessibility, there are websites that provide study questions to aid the reader with their comprehension of the material. This is a real and practical application of the boogeyman that is the paper-less classroom. I am still not a big fan of the idea of a paperless classroom, but with utilities that were seen in the presentation, it makes some sort of sense.

The other session regarding technology was the Dealing in the Digital: Explorations in Literacy. Dr. VanSlyke-Briggs discussed using the Internet and it's myriad resources to more actively involve and engage her students. A lot of the resources she pointed out we've either

a) discussed in class

b) used in class

And a lot of the things that can used for an educational benefit I use for fun. For example, one of her students used Youtube to create a video diary based upon one of the characters that they read about in one of their books (I think it was Speak....but don't quote me). I usually use Youtube to look at videos of super obese cats named Goliath.


To conclude, the technology presented at the DATE conference is what we have been reading about all semester. It helps sometimes to know that what you read and write about is actually being used; that it isn't just some theory out there in some think tank- this is real.

4 comments:

Staci said...

hey chris,
i am looking for your WIKI page. can you tell me the link? thanks!

-staci

Megan said...

You liked Goliath? Check out Burger and Fries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVj5OtbA30

(I dont know how to make a live link in a comment...)

I didn't make it to either of the technology discussions that you did, but thanks for sharing the project using SPEAK- I'm definately going to use that in the future

Staci said...

hey chris,
what is the name and password on the wiki site so i can add my content? Also, I just go into "edit" to make my own thing right? I know we did this in class, but I forgot the steps.

Thanks, Chris!

-Staci

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can make a live link in a Blogger comment? Does anyone want to dispute that?

Show me!

Chris, you're right--it helps to see that what we are talking about in 307 is hip with what's going on in other classrooms and with other teaching professionals.