Monday, March 19, 2007

And I Thought Jingle All The Way Was A Death Rattle...

If I could get a moment of silence, that would be great.







Ok, that's long enough.
Apparently, someone reported that Sinbad (yes, the Sinbad from First Kid, Good Burger, and his magnum opus Jingle All The Way) had died of a heart attack on Saturday.

I know. This took me by surprise too. Read the article here.

So.

This is the big fear about Wikipedia (other than erroneously killing off some of my favorite actors) is false reporting. Thankfully Sinbad wasn't harmed, in fact I am sure he appreciated it (there is no such thing as bad press). But because I am curious, I even checked out the history page on his wiki page and he is A-OK.

This is a good example of both sides of the Wikipedia argument. Sure, some person whether being malicious or sincerely trying to report his demise, falsely ended Sinbad's life. But within minutes, not hours, minutes, Sinbad's name was restored. Even a grave error (haha) was quickly corrected in the read/write web.



4 comments:

Kris Mark said...

This is a prime example of why I am suprised teachers even allow their students to use Wikipedia. At the conference in the session of Dealing in the Digital, we were given websites to be able to identify how websites are relevant or not but I don't think there is a way to do this with Wiki. Or am I wrong? Wiki is filled with a lot of misused and false information. I personally think that in a sense it should be banned to use in classrooms.

Kate said...

First of all, I love the "grave error" joke.

There is a ton of false information put up on wikipedia. But someone always comes along to fix it within minutes. I wonder about pages that are rarely viewed, though. Are they as quickly edited and corrected?

This is why we need to be teaching our students literacy. They need to know that they can't believe everything that they read. ALL (not just wikipedia) sources need to be double checked---always---no excuses.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, I'm browsing for new content man!!

Last Sunday's blog quiz for example?

How about a response here to Kris and Kaitlin?

Phil said...

It is very disheartening to see false allogations against sinbad. Personal vendetta's are certainly a big controversy affecting wikipedia. Thank you for strengthening my knowledge in this area, Chris!