Tuesday, May 15, 2007

But as you go, I will spread my wings...

This will most likely be my final blog for this course. Not "most likely"- definitely. As I am about to write my written reflection on the course, I look back on the work I have accomplished this semester in ENG 307. A whole new different world (haha) has awakened my senses. And this is why I decided not to become a high school English teacher.

If you are interested more in the topic, send me an e-mail and I can send you my final reflection. But the point of this post is to prime my writing for the big show. I was looking at the latest eSchoolnews post and this jumped out at me: [one of two themes] "the need to overhaul teacher education in the United States to produce a new generation of educators who are not only comfortable with technology, but expect it to be used in schools." From what I've seen in this class alone, this is imperative to the survival of your students in the working world. Even from what I've read in Friedman's book, the ability to become adaptable to the new technology that is constantly cresting in a tumultuous environment is the key to success. That one lady who started working in one position, then moved to another while learning new technology along the way. This is what the students need to obtain: the opportunity to become available to new positions wherever they work. Even if they work at McDonald's and decide to do nothing else in their lives, if they can work Excel and Word fluently that is management material that most of their co-workers may not have. This is not meant to sound facetious, but realistic.

Also, this shouldn't come as a shock to many people, but this article proves that our current president (to use an original phrase) "doesn't get it". He and his administration cut funding for technology because
"It's not about technology, it's about teaching.'' Not only did he ruin chances for Katrina refugees (I've recently been enlightened to the horrible negligence that occurred in NO) but he is ruining the futures of our students. The older generations are saying that we are losing jobs to the Chinese, and after learning what I've learned this semseter, is this really a surprise to anyone? Kids in India and China are being taught that Americans are lazy and that we can outwork them. Not only do they have a better work ethic, but their governments realize that technology is the cornerstone to becoming successful to this flat world that we are currently living in.

So. This is it. Class has been interesting and challenging, to say the least. I've got to meet some cool individuals and this semester will not be forgotten for a long time. I am glad for everything I've experienced and I don't regret a thing.

Till we meet again.

Chris Turo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, this blog post made me cry. As did your reflection.

Remember, I taught in a h.s. for many years. It IS possible to be who you are in schools. You just need to choose carefully so that the school and you are a good fit. There are some amazing h.s.'s in the country who are looking for and will nurture and value a teacher w/your intellectual projects. Know that.

So much IS possible. I just want you to know that.

If you pursue your dream of matriculating in a PhD program after graduation from Cortland, be sure to ask me for a recommendation.

The youngest degree recipient at Syracuse last Sunday (when I was the oldest!) is 27.

That could be you.

Love, Karen